Friday, February 1, 2013

Adrianna: Twelve




“Watch out we’re gonna crash!” Gemma shrieked turning her imaginary car toward her sister.
“Hey! Drive on your own side of the road crazy lady!” Noelle yelled back shaking her fist.


“No way I just robbed the bank and that road is the escape route!”
“Well then I’m going to arrest you because I’m the police!” Noelle hollered pretending to knock into Gemma.
“You’ll never catch me I have turbo drive!”


While the girls entertained themselves Adrianna sat on her bed happily reading a book. It’d been a long time since she could just relax and not worry about who needed a diaper and who needed a nap. Plus her work performance was amazing and they had a nice bit of cash piling up in their renovation fund soon enough the house would be much roomier.


Gemma was spending more and more time over at her father’s house learning the ins and outs of being a vampire. Sometimes she’d get there before he got home from work and she’d sit and play with Marie while she waited. Marie was such a cutie pie and she thought Gemma was a blast.


She was still a little concerned about joining a bunch of criminals but Jackson had explained to her that it was what vampires did and all too soon she would understand. Her father was so nice anyway so crime couldn't be that bad. “Has Jackson been teaching you how to read minds?” Fall asked her.
“Yes and its too easy can’t I learn something fun?” She whined.
“Of course follow me.”


“Now it is very important that you learn how to dodge things.”
“Why?”
“It’s just important.” He said sternly.
“Ok…” They spent hours working on dodging water balloons until Gemma was soaked to the bone but able to dodge every one thrown at her.
“Your birthday is coming up.”
“I know I’m so excited for high school.”
“Don’t let it be too distracting your training is only going to get more intense.” He told her and then hugged her goodbye.


“Now Gemma make sure Noelle gets to her classroom on time today.” Adrianna told her while they had breakfast before school.
“I know.” Gemma groaned.
“I’ll be fine Mommy she doesn't have to babysit me.”
“I just want to make sure you don’t get overwhelmed.”
“It’s not that big mom sheesh.” Gemma rolled her eyes. Adrianna had noticed over the last few days that moody teen attitude was already creeping in, she wasn't looking forward to those days.



Gemma’s birthday came quickly and took them all by surprise. Gemma of course was thrilled and couldn't help but notice a new feeling inside her. Now everything seemed to make sense that Jackson had been telling her about what it was like to be a Vampire. She didn't worry about becoming a criminal anymore in fact she couldn't wait.


It seemed to Noelle that now that Gemma was a teenager she was even messier. She was constantly cleaning up leftover food and dirty laundry that her sister had left lying around. One day, she would assure herself, she was going to be famous and someone else would be cleaning up after them.


“Don’t forget training today.” Jackson said as Gemma breezed past him into school.
“Don’t worry I won’t after all I’m going to be Daddy’s little prodigy.” She smiled.
“You’ll be lucky if you’re my lackey.”
“Oh come on Jack you know I’m the favorite.” She grinned leaving him glaring after her.
“You’re a pest is what you are…” He mumbled and followed her into the school.


“You are thinking about… ew Jackson! I don’t want to see that!” Gemma turned and glared at him. “Can you please not think about girls while I am trying to read your mind?”
“I’m sorry it was taking so long my mind started to wander.” He shrugged.
“Well tell it to wander somewhere else!” She groaned and turned away from him again. “See sports are so much more entertaining to think about.” She smiled.
“Not bad sis.”


“So dad wants you to sign up for drama club.”
“Why drama club?”
“Well when you graduate you’re going to start out at the bottom which means a lot of decoy work. You will have to be able to improvise quickly when situations turn sour.”
“Makes sense… bummer I have to start at the bottom.”
“We all do.” Jackson shrugged. “It won’t be that bad. We’re heading to the gym tomorrow to get some muscle on those scrawny arms by the way.”
“I hate working out.”
“Dads rules. Now I better split before your mom gets here.”


“That boy was here again.” Noelle said as she watched her mother fix the TV.
“I know honey and its OK.”
“He is bad news.” Adrianna sighed and looked at her daughter.
“I know but there’s nothing I can do about it.”
“Why not?”
“It’s complicated.”
“Adults are weird.” Noelle shook her head. “When I’m an adult I won’t be weird.”


“Honey I hope your being careful with your dads family.” Adrianna said as she took Gemma for her first drive.
“Of course mom, I know they aren't upstanding citizens like you.” Gemma rolled her eyes. “I am being smart.” Adrianna sighed her daughter was clearly not concerned enough with how bad her father’s family was and she was noticing the changes in her attitude which suggested she was well on her way to becoming one of his underlings. Unfortunately she knew her daughter and knew that she’d only turn to him further if Adrianna did anything to stop it so she would have to tread very carefully and hope her daughter stayed smart.
“Good. Now watch the road carefully and stop hitting the break so much.”
“I don’t want to crash!”
“You won’t crash just pay attention.”



The gym the next day was exactly as much fun as Gemma had imagined it would be. “Just go do some running I’m going to do a few laps.” Jackson had told her before disappearing into the locker room. She groaned and headed upstairs to the treadmill. Despite her lightning fast reflexes and her ability to run at high speeds the treadmill was not an easy task for her, not even ten seconds into her workout she tripped over her feet.
“Stupid brother making me use this stupid thing.” She muttered to herself pulling back to her feet. “When I am the big boss he is so getting fired.” 




No comments:

Post a Comment